Hemp Raisin Spread
2 dates, pitted
1c hemp seeds
1/8 ts salt or to taste
½ ts cinnamon or to taste
- Soak raisins and dates in water to cover for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Strain raisins and dates, and put in a blender or food processor.
- Add hemp seeds, salt and cinnamon. Blend on high speed for 20 seconds. Chunks are okay.
Sunflower Red Pepper Pate
2c sunflower seeds sprouts
1/2c soaked almonds, drained
1 large red pepper
1 clove garlic
2TB fresh dill
2TB fresh cilantro
1 red onion, minced and rinsed
Juice of 1 lemon
2TB Braggs Aminos
2TB nutritional yeast
In a food processor, grind the sunflower seeds, almonds, bell pepper, garlic and herbs. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the onion, lemon juice, Braggs, and yeast.
4 C ground walnuts
1 C ground cashews, macadamias or almonds
1 C sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
1 C dried coconut (optional)
½ C raw carob powder (optional)
1 C almond butter (room temperature)
½ C maple syrup, or more to taste
¼ C flaxseed oil
- Toss nuts, seeds, coconut and carob powder together first.
- Whip almond butter, maple syrup, oil and pinch of sea salt together.
- Using your hands mash all ingredients together until the nut mixture is coated (should be fairly dry).
Refrigerate in a short rectangular container for at least 3 hours. Cut into bars.
2 cups sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
¾ cup shredded coconut
½ cup agave nectar
¼ cup almond butter
¼ cup coconut butter
1 TB vanilla extract
½ ts cinnamon
¼ ts salt
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and shredded coconut.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, add agave nectar, almond butter, coconut butter, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to sesame mixture and stir well
- Using a small scooper, spoon or melon baller, distribute batter into 24 mini cupcake wrappers.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve chilled.
Mixed Lentil Dhal
½ cup toor dhal (yellow split peas)
½ cup masoor dhal (red lentils)
½ cup moong dhal (split moong beans)
2 TB ghee (or coconut oil)
3 ts black mustard seeds
½ ts black onion seeds
2 medium onions chopped
4 cloves garlic crushed
1 TB fresh grated ginger
1 TB ground cumin
3 ts ground coriander
1 ts ground turmeric
1 ts chili powder
2 x 400g cans tomatoes
2 ½ cups vegetable stock
½ ts black pepper
2 TB chopped cilantro
- Rinse each dhal, separately, under cold water, drain. Soak yellow split peas for 30 minutes, drain.
- Heat ghee/oil in large heavy based pan; cook seeds until they start to pop. Add onions, garlic, ginger; cook, stirring, until onions are browned lightly.
- Add ground spices; cook stirring for 1 minute. Add all dhal, undrained tomatoes and stock. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes or until red lentils are tender. Just before serving add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat until just heated through.
- Can be prepared ahead.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
- Can be frozen.
Any kind of lentils will word, even mung beans.